From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install issue
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 23:12:08
1 On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > Apparently, though unproven, at 23:56 on Sunday 29 May 2011, Mick did opine
4 > thusly:
5 >
6 > > > I wonder if you haven't just tripped over a bug in baselayout or recent
7 > > > stage3's. I just did a new install here but used an old stage3 that was
8 > > > still baselayout-1. I did not run into the issues you did. What does
9 > > > b.g.o. say?
10 > >
11 > > I'm sure that I've come across the same problem some time in the distant
12 > > past and had to create these two nodes manually.
13 > >
14 > > However, it should be easy to prove if this is a bug or not - look in the
15 > > stage3 tar file for /dev/console and /dev/null?
16 >
17 > True enough recent stage 3 tarballs for amd64 on my mirror are either
18 > faulty
19 > or do not contain /dev/console.
20 >
21 > May 20 and 26 are faulty
22 >
23 > April 28 is OK
24 >
25 > Colleen, you should follow the tip you found on Google to fix this. What
26 > stage
27 > 3 did you download and use?
30 Actually, I used the most recent one - I think May 26th, However, my first
31 install (that I screwed up on was the May 25th one, but I got the same
32 message. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I used a tarball for x86.
33
34 Think I'll try the fix that I found on google first before attempting to
35 find a stage 3 tarball that is not faulty.
36
37 BTW, I can't recall from previous installs when I'm supposed to do this, but
38 I thought that baselayout got emerged somewhere during the install prior to
39 rebooting. There was no place in the handbook that mentioned installing
40 baselayout ...... and yes, I did read the news item about baselayout2 and
41 openrc migration.
42
43 Regards,
44