From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 23:05:04
1 Pandu Poluan writes:
2
3 > Everytime I read some guide on LVM, my eyes becomes blurry, the room
4 > starts spinning, and I can hear wolves howling ... :D
5 >
6 > Seriously, LVM looks mighty nice, but it also looks (and is!) mighty
7 > complex.
8
9 I really don't think so. pvcreate <partition> creates a physical volume,
10 vgcreate <vgname> <partition> starts a volume group, and lvcreate -n
12 if it were a physical partition.
13
14 pvcreate /dev/sda5
15 vgcreate myvg /dev/sda5
16 lvcreate -n usr -L 10G myvg
17 mke2fs -j /dev/myvg/usr
18
19 > So, I want to start from something simple.
20
21 Of course, just using /dev/sda5 for /usr is simpler. But what if this
22 turns out to be too small? With so many partitions I would think this is
23 very likely to happen sooner or later. With LVM, all you'd have to do is:
24
25 lvresize -L +1G /dev/myvg/usr
26 resize2fs /dev/myvg/usr
27
28 Takes 10 seconds plus the time you need to type this, and you have 1G of
29 more space. Otherwise, you'd probably have to boot from another system
30 and use something like parted to move stuff around. Or move stuff like
31 /usr/src to other partitions.
32
33 Another neat featurea are snapshots, this is nice for backups.
36 > Comments, suggestions, are welcome :)
37
38 I also have many partitons, but I've overdone italready.
39
40 I like to have all big partitions separated in order to prevent / from
41 becoming full, so I have /home, /opt, /tmp, /usr and /var. I also have
42 /usr/{local,src}. And a big partition for /var/portage, contining tree
43 (sometimes on its own partition), distfiles and tmpdir. And /home. And
44 /data/{mp3,mpeg}. And /32 for my 32 bit chroot Gentoo. And /backup for
45 all sorts of backups, including a sub-directory with another partiton
46 for each of the partitions above. All are LUKS-encrypted, and it takes a
47 while during bootup until they are all opened. But then, I reboot very
48 seldomly.
49
50 Wonko