From: "Håkon Alstadheim" <hakon@×××××××××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Horribly off-topic linux distro question...
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 21:17:47
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday 07 February 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 15:27:51 +0100, Michael Schmarck wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>> In the context of online banking, where Windows of some flavour is the
7 >>>> desktop OS, I see a substantial risk arising through spyware and/or
8 >>>> viruses. I suspect that a neat way to mitigate this would be to run
9 >>>> an OS from a CD which offers nothing more fancy than a basic
10 >>>> web-browser.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> Is there anything like this already available?
13 >>>>
14 >>> DSL should come fairly close.
15 >>>
16 >> Dillo doesn't work with the online banking sites, and many others, that I
17 >> tried.
20 > Basic web browsers do not have the javascript, Java (and soon enough flash?)
21 > functionality that the majority of banking sites require. Wouldn't Knoppix
22 > with its Firefox and equivalents do the job for you, after you set root and
23 > knoppix passwds? BTW, Konqueror will also work with many banking sites, but
24 > you may need to change the browser agent identification, treatment of cookies
25 > and so on. YMMV.
26 >
27 I've had some success (one of two sites) with the opera browser. Free as
28 in beer.
29 --
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list