From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Horribly off-topic linux distro question...
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 23:45:53
1 On Thursday 07 February 2008, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3
4 > > Basic web browsers do not have the javascript, Java (and soon enough
5 > > flash?) functionality that the majority of banking sites require.
6 > > Wouldn't Knoppix with its Firefox and equivalents do the job for you,
7 > > after you set root and knoppix passwds? BTW, Konqueror will also work
8 > > with many banking sites, but you may need to change the browser agent
9 > > identification, treatment of cookies and so on. YMMV.
10 >
11 > I've had some success (one of two sites) with the opera browser. Free as
12 > in beer.
13
14 The original post was about security rather than browser compatibility, but
15 for what it's worth Opera can leave fewer traces behind than other browsers
16 do. I also use Opera to check online banking sites and have similarly had
17 success with more than a couple of them. However, I had to mask the user
18 agent as MSIE, or lately Firefox for it to work properly.
19 --
20 Regards,
21 Mick