From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Regular user can't mount/unmount mtpfs; root is OK
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:03:31
1 On 07/25/2014 12:52:15 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:23:47 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >
4 > > I'm a total noobie at mtpfs/FUSE. My "excellent adventure"
5 > started
6 > > yesterday when I got a clearout 7" tablet, and took a sample photo,
7 > and
8 > > tried mounting the tablet... no /dev/sdb to be found anywhere. I
9 > went
10 > > to "Mr. Google" for help, and found out that MTP is the "new and
11 > > improved" way of doing things.
12 >
13 > Improved, maybe, necessary, definitely. The old way of using mass
14 > storage
15 > meant the storage had to be unmounted on the phone first, which could
16 > break running applications.
17 >
18 > > So I installed mtpfs. It works great
19 > > for root, but a regular user can't mount the tablet. The mtpfs
20 > command
21 > > immediately returns to the command prompt, with no error message or
22 > any
23 > > other info.
24 >
25 > I has problems with mtpfs and switched to jmtpfs, which works much
26 > better. Or you can install SSHd on the tablet and use scp/sshfs.
29 I don't have good experience with jmtpfs. Here, it's dead slow and
30 hangs sometimes
31 (connected to my Galaxy S3 mini).
32 But, I have switched to go-mtpfs. This is really fast and seems to be
33 stable.
34
35 Since I'm lazy I haven't tried to access without root priviledges.
36 Helmut