From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage updates
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 20:11:36
1 On Wednesday 29 Feb 2012 16:27:50 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey writes:
3 > > On Tuesday 28 February 2012 11:23:40 Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > > > Peter Humphrey writes:
5 > > > > Now can anyone tell me why clicking the first link in this e-mail
6 > > > > opened it in Konqueror and the second in Firefox?
7 > > >
8 > > > Because KDE is so weird all over the place.
9 > >
10 > > Well I just hope the team get it sorted out soon.
11 >
12 > I'm waiting since KDE 4.2. And I believe it will never happen. Yes,
13 > things are getting better, and more things get fixed than break by
14 > updates. But still KDE4 has so many bugs and annoyances, nearly every day
15 > some weird things happen.
16 >
17 > > I can't stand any of
18 > > the Gnomes and the lighter desktops are just too thin on features.
19 >
20 > Me too. I _like_ KDE. If only things were more stable. I do not need any
21 > new features, I'd prefer the existing ones to work as they should.
22 > Look at Dolphin for example, the file manager. I expect such a thing to
23 > just work. But until 4.8 it didn't, it had some bugs that made it nearly
24 > unusable for me. Like the effect that after dragging files to a 2nd
25 > panel, Dolphin acted as if the mouse button was pressed, marking all
26 > files, and scrolling till the end when the mouse leaves the Dolphin
27 > window. Believe me, this is very annoying when copying/moving many files
28 > around. And don't press del to delete the files you copied, you might
29 > put all files in that directory to the trash.
30 > The scrolling behaviour was also annoying, I drag a file to the
31 > destination folder, which is near the top, and just when I release, the
32 > folder started to scroll away and the file is moved into another folder.
33 > Both bugs seem to be fixed in 4.8, and now Dolphin is better than the
34 > Windows XP explorer, finally.
35 > Of course, there was another bug introduced, couldn't reproduce it yet,
36 > and it does not happen often. All stuff scrolls down to the bottom then,
37 > I cannot scroll up, but with wild clicking on all mouse buttons it
38 > finally stops.
39 >
40 > Another example of these weird problems, just because it happened today:
41 > I copied 100 MB via FTP using Dolphin. Then I got an error dialog, there
42 > was a problem writing the file. Dolphin did not update the content, so I
43 > could not see how far the upload went. After some F5 pressing, it said
44 > "internal error, please send a detailed bug report".
45 > Seems there was a problem renaming the file after download, I had to
46 > remove the '.part' suffix manually.
47 >
48 > No big deal, but such problems happen all over the time when I use KDE
49 > applications. Some errors are reproduceable, and I can avoid them, but
50 > many things just happen once.
51 >
52 > If you are an experienced user, you can live with that - as I said, I
53 > still like KDE, and its great features. But for the inexperienced user
54 > like my mom KDE is totally unusable, as very basic features often do not
55 > work. Like, logging out. I put Gnome on her notebook, so I do not have to
56 > help her every day when yet another problem arises.
57 >
58 > > > > I can't see any material difference between the two links.
59 > > >
60 > > > Yes, there is none.
61 > > >
62 > > > This doesn't happen here, but I'm using the new KMail.
63 > >
64 > > I'm not going to that version until it works. It was only careful
65 > > backing up that avoided losing half my e-mails. As it was, the basic
66 > > functions of an e- mail client were almost completely absent.
67 >
68 > I'm using Claws mainly, and KMail2 for stuff like encryption or local
69 > mail folders that I did not (yet?) spend the time to set up with Claws. I
70 > migrated KDEPIM stuff for three times, and it never worked well, and
71 > always took me hours at least to get a working setup. This is just
72 > unbelieveable. And I can be happy, because I did not lose any mails -
73 > probably because I use IMAP only.
74 >
75 > And this is so sad. Generally, I like the idea of Akonadi. And I see
76 > some advantages - for example, Claws does not respond while it is checking
77 > for new mails, and it seems to do this so very often just when I want to
78 > see a new mail. KDE does this in the background. But there are far too
79 > many problems with this. So many people were bitten by this. And email is
80 > such an important issue. BTW, since 4.8, at every login I get messages
81 > that some calendar stuff did not get configured, migrated or whatever.
82 > Good thing I don't use it much, so I just do not care. But would I really
83 > entrust my important personal data to KDEPIM applications? Probably not.
84 >
85 > Wonko
86
87 I could echo most of what you raised here and add to it (because kmail will
88 just not work for me without major failures on POP3 & IMAP4 and korganizer is
89 seriously broken when trying to import and merge calendars) - but I won't.
90
91 What I don't understand is why couldn't we stay with 4.2 or which ever version
92 was broadly working and keep all these dev wet-dreams for testing purposes
93 only. If it takes them 3 years to arrive at a stable (read = functioning)
94 product then we can start then and only then bringing it sloooowly in the
95 stable tree.
96 --
97 Regards,
98 Mick