From: Hendrik Boom <hendrik@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Installation problems
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 21:06:35
1 On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:37:57 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:00:47 +0100, Mike Williams wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Saturday 14 July 2007 18:53:27 Hendrik Boom wrote:
6 >>> Very interesting.  It gets further with the dolvm2 pernel option (I
7 >>> specified udev first for good measure, as indicated in the howto, and it
8 >>> got further.  However, it still fails to handle
9 >>> /dev/mapper/lovesong-gentoo properly.  fsck complains about it, and I get
10 >>> to type "shell" for a shell.  There I find that
11 >>> /dev/mapper/lovesong-mapper does not exost (as testified by ls), but that
12 >>> it is nonetheless mounted on / (as testified by mount).
13 >>
14 >> OK, that's not exactly what I expected to happen, but I guess the initrd/ramfs
15 >> has the same udev setup as the full system so either the udev and
16 >> the "proper" LVM path could be used.
17 >> I prefer using the "proper" LVM paths, as early udevs won't create the other
18 >> nodes and later ones may also not do so (udev is pretty stable now, so I
19 >> realise it's highly unlikely).
20 >>
21 >> udev path == /dev/mapper/VG-LV
22 >> "proper" LVM path == /dev/VG/LV
23 >>
24 >>> This suggests that (a) it was mounted, and (b) something else was mounted
25 >>> over the path to /dev/mapper/lovesong-mapper afterward.  So something is
26 >>> clearly finding /dev/lovesong/mapper, and then making it inaccessible.
27 >>
28 >> a and b, the initrd/ramfs is mounted as / from ram by the kernel after it's
29 >> booted, the initrd/ramfs does it's stuff, then "pivots" the / device to the
30 >> real_root device on the kernel command line.
31 >> The / device you specify in fstab is never actually mounted, as to read it /
32 >> needs to be mounted, so the kernel or initrd/ramfs does it based on the
33 >> kernel arguements.
34 >> As a workaround you can make checkfs not attempt an fsck on the / device. In
35 >> fstab set the final column on the / entry to 0, it's almost certainly 1. This
36 >> number defines the order in which devices are fsck'd, 0 means don't do
37 >> anything.
38 >
39 > As another workaround I could just continue using Debian etch. I probably
40 > have the time to get it fixed right.
43 >>> By the way, I didn't find a /dev/VG/ directory either.
44 >>
45 >> No /dev/lovesong/ ? Assuming your VolumeGroup is actually called
46 >> lovesong.
47 >
48 > Yes, there is a /dev/lovesong, on both Debian and gentoo, and even a
49 > /dev/lovesong/gentoo! (confusion existed because I once installed a
50 > Debian system that actually called its newly created volume group "VG".) So
51 > I have changed all references to /dev/mapper/lovesong-gentoo in the
52 > menu.lst so they say /dev/lovesong/gentoo. I *still* get fsck complaining
53 > about /dev/mapper/lovesong-gentoo, which still does not exits.
54 > Where is it getting that name?
55 >
56 > (thinks)
57 >
58 > AH! From gentoo's /etc/fstab! Will fix and report back.
59
60 Fixed /etc/fstab so that it now refers to /dev/lovesong/gentoo. And fstab
61 gets the message, because it now complains that there's no
62 /dev/lovesong/gentoo. And when I get a shell, I discover that it's
63 right. There is now no /etc/lovesong at all. /dev/mapper exists, but it
64 contains only /dev/mapper/control.
65
66 using your workaround of changing the pass from 1 to 0 in the /etc/fstab
67 file, it boots. But I still have no access to the other partitions on
68 the disk. I still have no /dev/lovesong. except of course that
69 /dev/lovesong/gentoo has been mounted. And /dev/mapper still contains
70 only /dev/mapper/control.
71
72 -- hendrik
75 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list