From: Hendrik Boom <hendrik@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Installation problems
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:46:00
1 On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:00:47 +0100, Mike Williams wrote:
2
3 > On Saturday 14 July 2007 18:53:27 Hendrik Boom wrote:
4 >> Very interesting.  It gets further with the dolvm2 pernel option (I
5 >> specified udev first for good measure, as indicated in the howto, and it
6 >> got further.  However, it still fails to handle
7 >> /dev/mapper/lovesong-gentoo properly.  fsck complains about it, and I get
8 >> to type "shell" for a shell.  There I find that
9 >> /dev/mapper/lovesong-mapper does not exost (as testified by ls), but that
10 >> it is nonetheless mounted on / (as testified by mount).
11 >
12 > OK, that's not exactly what I expected to happen, but I guess the initrd/ramfs
13 > has the same udev setup as the full system so either the udev and
14 > the "proper" LVM path could be used.
15 > I prefer using the "proper" LVM paths, as early udevs won't create the other
16 > nodes and later ones may also not do so (udev is pretty stable now, so I
17 > realise it's highly unlikely).
18 >
19 > udev path == /dev/mapper/VG-LV
20 > "proper" LVM path == /dev/VG/LV
21 >
22 >> This suggests that (a) it was mounted, and (b) something else was mounted
23 >> over the path to /dev/mapper/lovesong-mapper afterward.  So something is
24 >> clearly finding /dev/lovesong/mapper, and then making it inaccessible.
25 >
26 > a and b, the initrd/ramfs is mounted as / from ram by the kernel after it's
27 > booted, the initrd/ramfs does it's stuff, then "pivots" the / device to the
28 > real_root device on the kernel command line.
29 > The / device you specify in fstab is never actually mounted, as to read it /
30 > needs to be mounted, so the kernel or initrd/ramfs does it based on the
31 > kernel arguements.
32 > As a workaround you can make checkfs not attempt an fsck on the / device. In
33 > fstab set the final column on the / entry to 0, it's almost certainly 1. This
34 > number defines the order in which devices are fsck'd, 0 means don't do
35 > anything.
36
37 As another workaround I could just continue using Debian etch. I probably
38 have the time to get it fixed right.
41 >> By the way, I didn't find a /dev/VG/ directory either.
42 >
43 > No /dev/lovesong/ ? Assuming your VolumeGroup is actually called
44 > lovesong.
45
46 Yes, there is a /dev/lovesong, on both Debian and gentoo, and even a
47 /dev/lovesong/gentoo! (confusion existed because I once installed a
48 Debian system that actually called its newly created volume group "VG".) So
49 I have changed all references to /dev/mapper/lovesong-gentoo in the
50 menu.lst so they say /dev/lovesong/gentoo. I *still* get fsck complaining
51 about /dev/mapper/lovesong-gentoo, which still does not exits.
52 Where is it getting that name?
53
54 (thinks)
55
56 AH! From gentoo's /etc/fstab! Will fix and report back.
57
58 -- hendrik
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list