From: Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can anyone tell me?
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 11:44:59
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 Hello Mark,
5
6 I was under the impression that packages with the ~amd64 (or ~x86) keywords are
7 in testing, but no serious instabilities had been found, or they would be hard
8 masked.
9
10 I have had non-testing packages break my system before, as well. What
11 generally happens is the the environment variables become messed up, or the
12 service dependencies do - either way, I can't use emerge or any of the
13 available utilities to fix the problem, or even find out what it does.
14
15 About a year ago, I went to a testing system and haven't had any problems,
16 except when I re-install Gentoo. I guess it is always a choice - either go
17 with the "stable" version of a distribution or you go with the testing version
18 (some people really push the envelope and go for the unstable version).
19
20 I read up on the keywords, and found out that having the ~mad64 keyword on a
21 package just means that it hasn't been adequately tested on that architecture.
22 That's how people like me help move things along - by testing those packages on
23 our systems, and reporting any problems we find.
24
25 Regards,
26 Chris
27