From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Off-site data backup
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:57:25
1 Hi there,
2
3 I have a couple of customers for whom I've configured Samba running
4 on Linux as their file-servers. We want to do off-site back-up & I
5 like the idea of http://www.rsync.net/ which I read as recommended by
6 a user here or on Slashdot some considerable time ago.
7
8 However I'm not clear on the best way to secure our data when storing
9 it on their servers - it's great to be able to use an open-source /
10 open-standards protocol such as SSH when transferring data, but this
11 does not protect it in the event that the off-site servers are
12 compromised. I am sure this isn't likely to happen but still it's
13 something we must consider.
14
15 It seems to me that we can stuff all our data in a tarball & encrypt
16 it using PGP or similar (probably a symmetric algorithm (??) rather
17 than PGP, but you get the idea) but that would seem to prevent
18 incremental back-ups - using conventional back-up tools the single
19 encrypted tarball will be seen to have changed each night and so will
20 require completely uploading. Since our data could easily comprise
21 several gigs this is clearly unwieldy, and encrypting thousands of
22 single files and storing them remotely would seem to me to be clumsy
23 also.
24
25 Does anyone have any thoughts on this, please?
26
27 I have read of zsync which allows only the changes in a large single
28 file to be propagated but I'm not really sure if it's suitable for
29 these purposes.
30
31 Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
32
33 Stroller.
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list