From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Off-site data backup
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:27:03
1 On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:51:25 +0100, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > I have a couple of customers for whom I've configured Samba running
4 > on Linux as their file-servers. We want to do off-site back-up & I
5 > like the idea of http://www.rsync.net/ which I read as recommended by
6 > a user here or on Slashdot some considerable time ago.
7 >
8 > However I'm not clear on the best way to secure our data when storing
9 > it on their servers - it's great to be able to use an open-source /
10 > open-standards protocol such as SSH when transferring data, but this
11 > does not protect it in the event that the off-site servers are
12 > compromised. I am sure this isn't likely to happen but still it's
13 > something we must consider.
14 >
15 > It seems to me that we can stuff all our data in a tarball & encrypt
16 > it using PGP or similar (probably a symmetric algorithm (??) rather
17 > than PGP, but you get the idea) but that would seem to prevent
18 > incremental back-ups - using conventional back-up tools the single
19 > encrypted tarball will be seen to have changed each night and so will
20 > require completely uploading. Since our data could easily comprise
21 > several gigs this is clearly unwieldy, and encrypting thousands of
22 > single files and storing them remotely would seem to me to be clumsy
23 > also.
24
25 I've recently switched from Strongspace to rsync.net and now use
26 Duplicity to do the backups. This uses GPG to encrypt the backups and
27 handles incremental backups. Duplicity is is portage with a good man
28 page, there is also documentation on using it with rsync.net on their
29 support pages as it is their recommended solution for encrypted backups.
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 BASIC: Bill's Attempt to Seize Industry Control