From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ISP extorsion - how to negate / get around?
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 16:54:54
1 On 03/10/2017 07:28 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> My ISP ( Charter ) merged with Time-Warner. New name "Spectrum"
5 >>
6 >> 1 # : Now I have intermittent connectivity.
7 >
8 > Nothing you can do about that if it really is connectivity.
11 >> 2 # : And with the death of FCC privacy rules, the new ISP is forcing me
12 >> to update their records ( for sale-of purposes ). This includes phone (
13 >> all ), SSN, bank account numbers, and credit card numbers.
14 >>
15 >> 3 # : the ISP attempting to force agreement to "no communications
16 >> allowed with the FCC". Also is attempting to force agreement to
17 >> "Arbitration with the ISP as the Arbiter" for all complaints.
18 >>
19 >> 4 # : billing is only online now. Not allowed to see a Account
20 >> Statement, or receive any "receipt for payment" until I comply with ISP
21 >> demands.
22 >
23 > While I certainly agree with your frustrations on these, I suspect
24 > your options are pretty limited if they really are a monopoly. You
25 > may just have to live with these if you don't want to do something
26 > exotic for internet access.
27 >
28 >> 5 # : external e-mail clients ( Thunderbird, Claws-Mail, etc. ) are now
29 >> starting to have problems. ISP solution -> must use their web based
30 >> e-mail app only ( only works with Windoze, surprise! ).
31 >>
32 >> 6 # : ISP is starting to filter customers web access. The ISP is
33 >> deciding what sites customers are allowed to see. ( look up the practice
34 >> called "ransom" ).
35 >
36 > I would see if a VPN works for you. It would solve these problems at
37 > least. Of course, they could do something to block the VPN, but I
38 > believe some services can work over SSL/etc unless your ISP is
39 > carefully blacklisting them.
42 >> NOTE : The ?hijack technique? will corrupt the portage trees if you use
43 >> "emerge-webrsync".
46 > Can you define "corrupt" here? Looking at the source emerge-webrsync
47 > should at the least do a digest check if available (and if it isn't
48 > available I'd be interested in that), and if you set the webrsync-gpg
49 > FEATURE flag in make.conf it should also check the gpg signature.
50 > Unless your ISP is doing a Gentoo-specific MITM the first should
51 > detect problems, and unless our gpg checking is completely broken the
52 > latter should detect anything the ISP tries to do to the file. They
53 > could of course prevent you from syncing, but tampering shouldn't be
54 > an issue.
57 Now using a VPN.
58
59 The "emerge-webrsync" setup that I had been using did have the "gpg"
60 check functioning.
61
62 It is looking like they are attempting to attach or embed a "process" of
63 some sort, that executes on the local machine.
64
65 The first attempt at ?blocking? "emerge-webrsync" did something to the
66 tarball contents ( ebuilds or metadata damaged ).
67
68 Running this command started crashing without error :
69 "emerge -pv --update --newuse --tree --deep --with-bdeps=y @world"
70
71 The second attempt at ?blocking? was to completely block the HTTP
72 requests generated by "emerge-webrsync".
73
74 Going to a VPN, and "emerge --sync" seems to have gotten around them so far.
75
76 NOTE : the first "emerge --sync" made lots of complaints indicating the
77 portage trees had been damaged.
78
79 Corbin