From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ISP extorsion - how to negate / get around?
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 01:28:32
1 On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > My ISP ( Charter ) merged with Time-Warner. New name "Spectrum"
4 >
5 > 1 # : Now I have intermittent connectivity.
6
7 Nothing you can do about that if it really is connectivity.
10 > 2 # : And with the death of FCC privacy rules, the new ISP is forcing me
11 > to update their records ( for sale-of purposes ). This includes phone (
12 > all ), SSN, bank account numbers, and credit card numbers.
13 >
14 > 3 # : the ISP attempting to force agreement to "no communications
15 > allowed with the FCC". Also is attempting to force agreement to
16 > "Arbitration with the ISP as the Arbiter" for all complaints.
17 >
18 > 4 # : billing is only online now. Not allowed to see a Account
19 > Statement, or receive any "receipt for payment" until I comply with ISP
20 > demands.
21
22 While I certainly agree with your frustrations on these, I suspect
23 your options are pretty limited if they really are a monopoly. You
24 may just have to live with these if you don't want to do something
25 exotic for internet access.
26
27 > 5 # : external e-mail clients ( Thunderbird, Claws-Mail, etc. ) are now
28 > starting to have problems. ISP solution -> must use their web based
29 > e-mail app only ( only works with Windoze, surprise! ).
30 >
31 > 6 # : ISP is starting to filter customers web access. The ISP is
32 > deciding what sites customers are allowed to see. ( look up the practice
33 > called "ransom" ).
34
35 I would see if a VPN works for you. It would solve these problems at
36 least. Of course, they could do something to block the VPN, but I
37 believe some services can work over SSL/etc unless your ISP is
38 carefully blacklisting them.
41 > NOTE : The ?hijack technique? will corrupt the portage trees if you use
42 > "emerge-webrsync".
45 Can you define "corrupt" here? Looking at the source emerge-webrsync
46 should at the least do a digest check if available (and if it isn't
47 available I'd be interested in that), and if you set the webrsync-gpg
48 FEATURE flag in make.conf it should also check the gpg signature.
49 Unless your ISP is doing a Gentoo-specific MITM the first should
50 detect problems, and unless our gpg checking is completely broken the
51 latter should detect anything the ISP tries to do to the file. They
52 could of course prevent you from syncing, but tampering shouldn't be
53 an issue.
56 Rich