From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ISP extorsion - how to negate / get around?
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 19:50:56
1 Have a serious problem, might cost me any Internet access.
2
3 My ISP ( Charter ) merged with Time-Warner. New name "Spectrum"
4
5 1 # : Now I have intermittent connectivity.
6
7 2 # : And with the death of FCC privacy rules, the new ISP is forcing me
8 to update their records ( for sale-of purposes ). This includes phone (
9 all ), SSN, bank account numbers, and credit card numbers.
10
11 3 # : the ISP attempting to force agreement to "no communications
12 allowed with the FCC". Also is attempting to force agreement to
13 "Arbitration with the ISP as the Arbiter" for all complaints.
14
15 4 # : billing is only online now. Not allowed to see a Account
16 Statement, or receive any "receipt for payment" until I comply with ISP
17 demands.
18
19 5 # : external e-mail clients ( Thunderbird, Claws-Mail, etc. ) are now
20 starting to have problems. ISP solution -> must use their web based
21 e-mail app only ( only works with Windoze, surprise! ).
22
23 6 # : ISP is starting to filter customers web access. The ISP is
24 deciding what sites customers are allowed to see. ( look up the practice
25 called "ransom" ).
26
27 7 # : no other broadband ISP in the regional area. No alternatives.
28
29 They are using a hijack technique that I don't know the name of,
30 attempting to force compliance.
31
32 NOTE : The ?hijack technique? will corrupt the portage trees if you use
33 "emerge-webrsync".
34
35 Is there any way to ... fix? work-around? ... this idiocy?
39 Background info :
40
41 The old cable modem suddenly stopped working. The ISP sent out a clone
42 of a Cisco DPC2316 ( Technicolor ), complete with hacked / trashed /
43 closed firmware. So I returned the rented cable modem ( bought my own ).
44 The Technicolor clone was using a built-in Java based "???????" to
45 redirect / filter at the modem.
46
47 Switched to Google Public DNS. Doesn't effect the ?hijack technique?.
48
49 The "uMatrix/uBlock Origin" plugins ( Firefox/ Palemoon ) stop the
50 ?hijack technique? in the web browser. Always shows up as an ipv4
51 address, embedded in a "frame", that resolves to "*-charter-*".