From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ISP extorsion - how to negate / get around?
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 20:23:08
1 On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 01:50:26PM -0600, Corbin Bird wrote
2
3 > 2 # : And with the death of FCC privacy rules, the new ISP is forcing
4 > me to update their records ( for sale-of purposes ). This includes
5 > phone ( all ), SSN, bank account numbers, and credit card numbers.
6 >
7 > 3 # : the ISP attempting to force agreement to "no communications
8 > allowed with the FCC". Also is attempting to force agreement to
9 > "Arbitration with the ISP as the Arbiter" for all complaints.
10
11 Check with a lawyer; hopefully you can get the first consultation
12 free. I can see a legitimate need for one phone number and one payment
13 method, i.e. one credit card (if billed against the card) *OR* one bank
14 account (if billed as a direct debit). The rest is not necessary. Ask
15 the lawyer about SSN and other extraneous stuff.
16
17 > 5 # : external e-mail clients ( Thunderbird, Claws-Mail, etc. )
18 > are now starting to have problems. ISP solution -> must use their
19 > web based e-mail app only ( only works with Windoze, surprise! ).
20 >
21 > 6 # : ISP is starting to filter customers web access. The ISP is
22 > deciding what sites customers are allowed to see. ( look up the
23 > practice called "ransom" ).
24 >
25 > 7 # : no other broadband ISP in the regional area. No alternatives.
26 >
27 > They are using a hijack technique that I don't know the name of,
28 > attempting to force compliance.
29 >
30 > NOTE : The ?hijack technique? will corrupt the portage trees if you
31 > use "emerge-webrsync".
32
33 Maybe a submission to Slashdot (even as "anonymous coward") would get
34 them some bad PR. Or a posting on the Comcast forum at DSL Reports (yes
35 it covers cable, too) https://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcast
38 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
39 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications