From: landis blackwell <blackwelllandis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ISP extorsion - how to negate / get around?
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 19:55:45
1 Hijack is probably due to dns. Don't use their dns servers. For webmail
2 just use a full fledged browser and spoof user agent. Not sure about the
3 contract stuff
4
5 On Mar 10, 2017 1:51 PM, "Corbin Bird" <corbinbird@×××××××.net> wrote:
6
7 > Have a serious problem, might cost me any Internet access.
8 >
9 > My ISP ( Charter ) merged with Time-Warner. New name "Spectrum"
10 >
11 > 1 # : Now I have intermittent connectivity.
12 >
13 > 2 # : And with the death of FCC privacy rules, the new ISP is forcing me
14 > to update their records ( for sale-of purposes ). This includes phone (
15 > all ), SSN, bank account numbers, and credit card numbers.
16 >
17 > 3 # : the ISP attempting to force agreement to "no communications
18 > allowed with the FCC". Also is attempting to force agreement to
19 > "Arbitration with the ISP as the Arbiter" for all complaints.
20 >
21 > 4 # : billing is only online now. Not allowed to see a Account
22 > Statement, or receive any "receipt for payment" until I comply with ISP
23 > demands.
24 >
25 > 5 # : external e-mail clients ( Thunderbird, Claws-Mail, etc. ) are now
26 > starting to have problems. ISP solution -> must use their web based
27 > e-mail app only ( only works with Windoze, surprise! ).
28 >
29 > 6 # : ISP is starting to filter customers web access. The ISP is
30 > deciding what sites customers are allowed to see. ( look up the practice
31 > called "ransom" ).
32 >
33 > 7 # : no other broadband ISP in the regional area. No alternatives.
34 >
35 > They are using a hijack technique that I don't know the name of,
36 > attempting to force compliance.
37 >
38 > NOTE : The ?hijack technique? will corrupt the portage trees if you use
39 > "emerge-webrsync".
40 >
41 > Is there any way to ... fix? work-around? ... this idiocy?
45 > Background info :
46 >
47 > The old cable modem suddenly stopped working. The ISP sent out a clone
48 > of a Cisco DPC2316 ( Technicolor ), complete with hacked / trashed /
49 > closed firmware. So I returned the rented cable modem ( bought my own ).
50 > The Technicolor clone was using a built-in Java based "???????" to
51 > redirect / filter at the modem.
52 >
53 > Switched to Google Public DNS. Doesn't effect the ?hijack technique?.
54 >
55 > The "uMatrix/uBlock Origin" plugins ( Firefox/ Palemoon ) stop the
56 > ?hijack technique? in the web browser. Always shows up as an ipv4
57 > address, embedded in a "frame", that resolves to "*-charter-*".