From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: webserver reccomendations
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 12:29:06
1 On Sunday 28 Jun 2015 05:23:01 Jean-Christophe Bach wrote:
2 > * Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> [28.06.2015. @05:45:37 +0800]:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > over the years when I need a web-server I have just used Apache. I am
6 > >
7 > > in the process of consolidating my separate services VM's for various
8 > > things into LXC containers and am looking for something a bit lighter if
9 > > its worthwhile.
10 > >
11 > > I am currently using Apache for internal and external http/https static
12 > > pages, webdav and radicale (dav/wsgi calendar) sometimes using vhosts.
13 > >
14 > > Is there something else much lighter weight than Apache for (each) of
15 > > these tasks? - doesn't have to be the same application as I want to
16 > > separate the tasks rather than have one huge complex Apache
17 > > configuration serving an extremely light load.
18 > >
19 > > Nginx is an alternative for radicale (is it worth changing from one
20 > > large application to one almost as heavy?) but what else can do wsgi/dav?
21 > >
22 > > BillK
23 >
24 > Hi Bill,
25 >
26 > I am "self-hosting" a lighttpd server with a cal/card dav sever: Baikal
27 > [1]. I also added a web (js) interface for it, in case of I would need
28 > it: CalDavZAP [2] and CardDavMATE [3] which were unified by InfCloud
29 > [4].
30 > I chosed lighttpd because Apache became to heavy and to complex to
31 > admin for a simple personal server.
32 >
33 > Hope it will help you,
34 >
35 > JC
36 >
37 > [1] http://baikal-server.com
38 > [2] https://www.inf-it.com/open-source/clients/caldavzap/
39 > [3] https://www.inf-it.com/open-source/clients/carddavmate/
40 > [4] https://www.inf-it.com/open-source/clients/infcloud/
41
42 I am using apache, nginx, thttpd, boa.
43
44 I have also used lighttpd in the past.
45
46 For speed and features I would go with nginx. Small footprint single threaded
47 boa is also extremely fast. YMMV.
50 Regards,
51 Mick