From: neil <neil@×××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge mozilla-firefox-1.0.6-r2
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:45:09
1 Holly Bostick wrote:
2
3 > Well, since I just (literally, 10 minutes ago) emerged
4 > mozilla-firefox-1.0.6-r2, and had no problems on a 32-bit system, I must
5 > suspect that this is a 64-bit issue.
6
7 Nope. I emerged both firefox and thunderbird without issue on my AMD64
8 4000+ about 14 hours ago.
9
10 > In that regard, I see at least one thing in your emerge info that has
11 > been called into question for 64-bit users in recent threads:
12 >
13 > CFLAGS="-march=k8
14
15 I use k8. k8, opteron, etc., etc. are supposed to be synonyms as I
16 understand it. k8 is the preferred one according to most sources I have
17 read but, if they are truly synonyms, I'm not sure why one should be
18 preferred over another.
19
20 > Oh, and despite what Patrick said, I think you were right to post here
21 > first-- no need to clog up b.g.o with what might be a configuration
22 > problem and waste developer's time closing an invalid bug.
23 >
24 > I think it's always wise to try to make sure that it really is a bug
25 > before posting it.
26
27 Quite right. I doubt that it is a bug - more likely a broken system in
28 some way.
29
30 > the other person who mentioned using march=k8 said that
31 > that was the recommendation of the docs, but that seems to no longer be
32 > the case, if people using this flag are regularly receiving compilation
33 > errors
34
35 No errors here. :)
38 Be lucky,