From: John Dangler <jdangler@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] updates
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 02:22:50
1 That makes some sense. (Gentoo is all about choices)
2 So, basically, I emerge the new 'slot' and then re-compile the new kernel
3 version according to the handbook, giving me both the existing kernel
4 version and the new version...
5
6 John D
9 -----Original Message-----
10 From: Marco Matthies [mailto:marco-ml@×××.net]
11 Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 10:02 PM
12 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
13 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] updates
14
15 John Dangler wrote:
16 > I just finished the base install of the 2005.1 system (2.6.12-r6). When I
17 > run emerge -sync, and then emerge -uDvp system, I get a short list updates
18 > that portage wants to emerge, but there aren't any kernel updates.
19 However,
20 > if I run emerge -uDvp world, there is a new version of the gentoo-sources
21 > (2.6.12-r9). Why wouldn't kernel updates be included in a system emerge?
22
23 The packages in your system come from
24 /etc/make.profile/packages
25 (Note: do *not* edit this file)
26
27 The packages considered for world are the ones from system plus the ones
28 in /var/lib/portage/world
29 The world file is where portage records the packages you emerged, e.g.
30 when you typed emerge gentoo-sources it recorded it there.
31
32 I suppose the reason the kernel is not in the system file is that this
33 file is a kind of 'factory-defaults', which you shouldn't be normally
34 changing. But there is more than just one kernel source tarball avilable
35 in portage, e.g. gentoo-sources, vanilla-sources and some more. Putting
36 this in the system file would unnecessarily constrain your choice as to
37 which kernel to run.
38
39 Marco
40 --