From: Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] updates
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 02:09:03
1 John Dangler wrote:
2 > I just finished the base install of the 2005.1 system (2.6.12-r6). When I
3 > run emerge -sync, and then emerge -uDvp system, I get a short list updates
4 > that portage wants to emerge, but there aren't any kernel updates. However,
5 > if I run emerge -uDvp world, there is a new version of the gentoo-sources
6 > (2.6.12-r9). Why wouldn't kernel updates be included in a system emerge?
7
8 The packages in your system come from
9 /etc/make.profile/packages
10 (Note: do *not* edit this file)
11
12 The packages considered for world are the ones from system plus the ones
13 in /var/lib/portage/world
14 The world file is where portage records the packages you emerged, e.g.
15 when you typed emerge gentoo-sources it recorded it there.
16
17 I suppose the reason the kernel is not in the system file is that this
18 file is a kind of 'factory-defaults', which you shouldn't be normally
19 changing. But there is more than just one kernel source tarball avilable
20 in portage, e.g. gentoo-sources, vanilla-sources and some more. Putting
21 this in the system file would unnecessarily constrain your choice as to
22 which kernel to run.
23
24 Marco
25 --