From: Dave Jones <Dave.Jones@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cannot login after emerge --update --deep --newuse world crashed
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 09:01:24
1 Richard Watson wrote on 05/06/06 10:34:
2 > Hi all - I was running emerge --update --deep --newuse world over the
3 > weekend when I had a power outage and my computer crashed. For some reason
4 > ever since then I cannot login. If I enter Root at the login prompt the
5 > computer thinks about it and then just returns to the login prompt.
6 > Obviously something has gone wrong with my authentication and I'm just
7 > wondering whether anyone can give me guidance on how to fix this.
8
9 > I was able to boot from the Gentoo Stage 1 Livecd and chroot into my system
10 > but resetting the password with passwd didn't work. I suspect I need to
11 > emerge the relevant modules again but don't know which ones.
12
13 > Any help would be really appreciated, thanks. Richard
14
15 I guess you've been bitten by the conflict between pam-login and shadow.
16
17 You need to unmerge pam-login, then emerge shadow.
18
19 emerge -C pam-login && emerge -u shadow
20
21 HTH, cheers, Dave
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list