From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Pseudo first impressions
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 05:56:51
1 On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 12:14 AM, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Am Sat, 29 Apr 2017 14:39:13 +0000
3 > schrieb Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>:
4 >
5 >> For a start, I could barely read parts of it, which were displayed in
6 >> dark blue text on a black background. Setting
7 >> up /etc/portage/color.map is not the first thing a new user should
8 >> have to do to be able to read messages from emerge. This is,
9 >> however, something I knew had to be done, and I did it.
10 >
11 > This is a problem with most terminal emulators having a much too dark
12 > "dark blue". On an old DOS CRT, this dark blue was still bright enough
13 > to be read easily on black background. Especially, I found PuTTY in
14 > Windows having a dark blue barely readable.
15 >
16 > E.g., in KDE Konsole I usually switch to a different terminal color
17 > scheme which usually gets around this. But then, contrast on bright
18 > colors is usually very bad, as can be seen in MC at some points. But
19 > the new "breeze" color scheme from current Plasma versions is quite
20 > nice and an overall good fit.
23 I have occasionally had this problem (and the reverse - green and
24 yellow are unreadable on light backgrounds), but the default colors in
25 URxvt are fairly reasonable.
26
27 Not to derail this thread but what is the process for getting changes
28 into the handbook? I have some suggestions as well, but still only
29 have a vague idea of how it is maintained. There's a lot that could be
30 added in relation to maintaining modern systems, and many of the
31 changes to portage could be added. (E.g. there's people who will come
32 into the IRC and have a conglomeration of settings that, based on the
33 quirks and naming conventions, you can tell were taken from 3-4 places
34 each being published years apart. There probably needs to be some
35 basic information all in one place.)
38 And in reply to the Perl problem, though my response probably isn't
39 needed: I can verify that using a high backtrack number solved this,
40 and that the dependency chain was the longest I have seen save one
41 other time.