From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Pseudo first impressions
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 05:15:01
1 Am Sat, 29 Apr 2017 14:39:13 +0000
2 schrieb Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>:
3
4 > For a start, I could barely read parts of it, which were displayed in
5 > dark blue text on a black background. Setting
6 > up /etc/portage/color.map is not the first thing a new user should
7 > have to do to be able to read messages from emerge. This is,
8 > however, something I knew had to be done, and I did it.
9
10 This is a problem with most terminal emulators having a much too dark
11 "dark blue". On an old DOS CRT, this dark blue was still bright enough
12 to be read easily on black background. Especially, I found PuTTY in
13 Windows having a dark blue barely readable.
14
15 E.g., in KDE Konsole I usually switch to a different terminal color
16 scheme which usually gets around this. But then, contrast on bright
17 colors is usually very bad, as can be seen in MC at some points. But
18 the new "breeze" color scheme from current Plasma versions is quite
19 nice and an overall good fit.
20
21 > The error message was "Multiple package instances within a single
22 > package slot have been pulled into the dependency graph, resulting in
23 > a slot conflict:". Uhh???
24
25 This wouldn't happen if this would actually be a new system with vendor
26 stage tarball. I guess you're upgrading an existing system from new
27 hardware.
28
29 > Is this gobbledegook really what a new user should be seeing, having
30 > not yet installed any packages, bar a very few, beyond what is
31 > requisite to bringing a new machine up?
32 >
33 > The actual conflict packages are:
34 > dev-lang/perl-5.24.1-r1:0/5.24::gentoo
35 > and
36 > dev-lang/perl-5.22.3-rc4:0/5.22::gentoo
37 > , "pulled in" by internal system packages I've got no direct interest
38 > in, plus, shockingly, "and 2 more with the same problem" and "and 5
39 > more with the same problem".
40
41 This, and similar conflicts, can be easily resolved by forcing rebuilds
42 of the packages marked in blue in the conflict tree. I particular, here
43 it works by running:
44
45 # emerge -DNua world --reinstall-atoms "$(qlist -ICS dev-perl/
46 virtual/perl-)"
47
48 I found "reinstall-atoms" to become very handy lately. Emerge seems to
49 be pretty bad at determining rebuilds of dependents in world upgrades,
50 even when using big backtrack values. Also, bigger backtrack values
51 increase deptree calculation by a huge factor, especially when emerge
52 isn't able to figure it out anyways.
53
54 You may want to remove all perl virtuals first, which is essentially
55 what perl-cleaner also does in a first step:
56
57 # emerge -Ca $(qlist -IC virtual/perl-)
61 Regards,
62 Kai
63
64 Replies to list-only preferred.