From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for a minimalistic system
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 08:39:43
1 On 19 January 2007 23:46, Vlad Dogaru wrote:
2 > On 1/19/07, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > Buy a couple spare RAM modules. Surely I agree with your will to build a
5 > > minimalistic system, this will help anyway and it's a nice experience,
6 > > but RAM is quite cheap and is the magic elisir that allows outdated
7 > > machines to be still usable -the CPU is rarely a problem, unless you
8 > > often do something quite computationally intensive.
9 >
10 > I have 384 megs of RAM and no imediate possibility of buying more. I
11 > realise it is arguably sufficient for many lightweight applications, but,
12 > as I mentioned, it is becoming increasingly frustrating, even with the real
13 > power of Gentoo and Fluxbox (the two have changed my life -- literally).
14
15 This is odd.My main workstation also has 384MB of ram. I run a full KDE
16 session and do not experience any slow down. Right now, I have open: 9
17 konqueror windows (not tabs), kmail, kmahjongg, konsole with 3 sessions,
18 noatun, kcalc. My background is a 1024x768 photo which also takes some
19 memory. Switching between virtual desktops is instantaneous, all apps are
20 very responsive.
21
22 One good thing (among others) of using a real desktop environment is that all
23 apps share the vast majority of libraries which are loaded into memory just
24 once. When you mix environments or use an eclectic collection of unrelated
25 apps, they all draw in different libraries and memory usage goes up.
26
27 Uwe
30 A fast and easy generator of fractals for KDE:
31 http://www.SysEx.com.na/iwy-1.0.tar.bz2
32 Proof of concept of a TSP solver for KDE:
33 http://www.SysEx.com.na/epat-0.1.tar.bz2
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list