From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Python: ebuilds vs. pip3 install --user
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 18:48:36
1 On 2020-03-11, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I cannot really answer your questions about multiple python versions as
4 > you've outlined it.
5
6 FWIW, I'm not asking about different versions of Python. I'm asking
7 about different versions of Python libraries — all of which were
8 installed for the same version/instance of Python (3.6 in my example).
9
10 > However I've used virtualenv (and others) for this sort of thing
11 > where I want a specific program to run with a specific version of
12 > python. It's easy to use and keeps everything isolated very
13 > well. The downside of it is that you have to enter/exit the
14 > environment to use the program but I've had 5 or 6 versions of
15 > python installed at one time and it works fine for what it does.
16
17 That was what I was going to do if the "pip --user" method didn't work
18 well. In my exaple it's a unix-style command-line utility, so
19 wrapping it a Bash script that activates the venv should work fine.
22 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! You mean you don't
23 at want to watch WRESTLING
24 gmail.com from ATLANTA?