From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Python: ebuilds vs. pip3 install --user
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 18:03:07
1 On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 10:55 AM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Background: a utility written in Python that I use regularly
5 > (weasyprint) was out-of-date and is being dropped from Gentoo's
6 > package database. I tried (and faield) to creaate an ebuild for a
7 > more recent version. So I ended up doing
8 >
9 > $ pip3 install --user weasyprint
10 >
11 > That installed weasyprint and a few depdendancies (tinycss2,
12 > defusedxml, ciarocffi) under ~/.local/{bin,lib64}.
13 >
14 > Question:
15 >
16 > Can those dependancies installed under ~/.local cause problems for
17 > things that were installed using standard ebuilds which require
18 > older/other versions of those libraries (which were installed using
19 > standard ebuilds)?
20 >
21 > For example, weasyprint requires cairosvg 2.4, and 2.4.2 was installed
22 > under .local via the pip3 command shown above.
23 >
24 > My stable cairosvg is 2.0.3 and it is installed in the usual "system"
25 > location /usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages by the normal "emerge"
26 > process. [IIRC, at one point I tried unmasking 2.4.2, but that caused
27 > a cascade of other problems.]
28 >
29 > Q: Under what conditions will having a second installation of a Python
30 > library under .local cause problems?
33 I cannot really answer your questions about multiple python versions as
34 you've outlined it. However I've used virtualenv (and others) for this sort
35 of thing where I want a specific program to run with a specific version of
36 python. It's easy to use and keeps everything isolated very well. The
37 downside of it is that you have to enter/exit the environment to use the
38 program but I've had 5 or 6 versions of python installed at one time and it
39 works fine for what it does.
40
41 HTH,
42 Mark