From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strangeness with Grub and Win7 partitions
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 14:41:18
1 On Sunday 26 Mar 2017 17:08:33 Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > Don't know if it's my machine or a bug somewhere in Grub, but I have a
4 > dual boot setup /dev/sda - Linux, /dev/sdb - Win7, that grub-mkconfig
5 > would find correctly and build the grub.cfg file for. Or it did in the past.
6 >
7 > I hadn't had call to boot into Win7 for a while but kept building Linux
8 > kernels and running grub-mkconfig. Linux always booted correctly but
9 > recently upon trying to boot Win7 it failed. Investigation shows that my
10 > Win7 partition isn't being found. Manually adding it to grub.cfg fixed
11 > the boot problem.
12
13 This is not the recommended approach. Use /etc/grub.d/40_custom to add any
14 bespoke entries. However, the GRUB2 OS-prober should pick it up on its own.
17 > I have not changed anything in the way I run grub-mkconfig, I have
18 > os-prober installed and when booted into Linux can see and use any of
19 > the partitions in the Win7 install, ie ntfs3g is installed and working.
20 > Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going wrong?
21
22 It may be worth re-installing GRUB2 in case something has gone askew, or
23 booting from a LiveCD and running GRUB from there to find out what it sees, in
24 case your GRUB installation is corrupted.
25 --
26 Regards,
27 Mick