From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Are these packages safe to unmerge?
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 23:37:44
1 On Sunday 10 September 2006 00:09, Toby Cubitt wrote:
2
3 > If depclean has listed the packages, I'm fairly sure that means
4 > portage couldn't find anything in "system" or "world" that depends on
5 > it (or anything that depends on something that depends on it,
6 > etc.). So querying for dependencies is, by definition, going to return
7 > nothing.
8
9 Actually, for some of them equery did find dependencies - so I left them well
10 alone. For a few of these it did not, in which case I unmerged them.
11
12 > That doesn't necessarily mean the packages can safely be removed (I
13 > once borked my system badly by making that assumption). Look at the
14 > package descriptions or google them to try to find out what exactly
15 > they do before you decide it's safe to remove them. Usually, even if
16 > the package *is* required, all that happens is some program will no
17 > longer run and you'll need to re-emerge the package. You can then add
18 > it to world so that it's not picked up by depclean in the future. In
19 > the worst case, you find you've remove something essential and the
20 > system no longer even boots. (That's what happened to me, with libcap
21 > if I remember right.)
22
23 I'll keep an eye out for dependency related breakages and no doubt repost if I
24 get lost (it happens rather often lately! ;-)
25
26 Thank you all for your help and guidance.
29 Regards,
30 Mick