From: Toby Cubitt <tsc25@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Are these packages safe to unmerge?
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 23:16:06
1 On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 02:26:03PM +0000, Peter wrote:
2 > On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 12:41:14 +0100, Mick wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hi All,
5 > >
6 > > Just ran depclean and the following candicates are shown:
7 > > =======================================
8 > > Calculating dependencies... done!
9
10 [snip]
11
12 > With the exception of tcsh, probably no. Run equery d {package} and see if
13 > anything depends on them. The ones you show are pretty standard. You might
14 > be able to dump the framebuffer, but check.
15
16 If depclean has listed the packages, I'm fairly sure that means
17 portage couldn't find anything in "system" or "world" that depends on
18 it (or anything that depends on something that depends on it,
19 etc.). So querying for dependencies is, by definition, going to return
20 nothing.
21
22 That doesn't necessarily mean the packages can safely be removed (I
23 once borked my system badly by making that assumption). Look at the
24 package descriptions or google them to try to find out what exactly
25 they do before you decide it's safe to remove them. Usually, even if
26 the package *is* required, all that happens is some program will no
27 longer run and you'll need to re-emerge the package. You can then add
28 it to world so that it's not picked up by depclean in the future. In
29 the worst case, you find you've remove something essential and the
30 system no longer even boots. (That's what happened to me, with libcap
31 if I remember right.)
32
33 That was with older versions of portage. I don't know if newer ones
34 are safer.
35
36 HTH,
37
38 Toby
39 --
40 PhD Student
41 Quantum Information Theory group
42 Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics
43 Garching, Germany
44
45 email: toby@××××××××.org
46 web: www.dr-qubit.org