From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [getting on-topic I think] dial-up, switching isp's and other thoughts.
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:48:00
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > kashani wrote:
4 > > Dale wrote:
5
6 [Google stores emails forever, reads them, may combine the data with your
7 google searches, can create user profiles]
8
9 > >> But isn't this true of any ISP or email host?
10
11 No!
12
13 I guess about all of them have privacy statements that do not allow this. If
14 this is even needed, I doubt that in my country this behaviour would be
15 legal. As it would be illegal for my phone company to listen to my calls.
18 > But my point was, whoever owns the email server can read the emails.
19 > Right? If I used your service, would you be able to read my emails if
20 > you chose to? Not that you would but that you *could*.
21
22 Sure, they can. And telephone companies also could easily listen to your
23 phone calls, but do you assume they do? And, if so, would you use a company
24 who openly states that they will record your phone calls forever, listen to
25 it, use whatever you say in them for whatever purpose they like?
26
27 > I would assume if a email was encrypted that would be a different story.
28
29 Well, only if everyone who sends you emails does encrypt, too.
30
31 And, still: From the moment on that you opened the gmail site in your
32 konqueror or firefox, every google search that you ever did in that browser
33 before now is known to google. Well, they knew them before of course, but
34 they did not know yet who you are. Now they do.
35
36 Wonko