From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [getting on-topic I think] dial-up, switching isp's and other thoughts.
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 07:34:35
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
5 >> kashani wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Dale wrote:
8 >>>
9 >
10 > [Google stores emails forever, reads them, may combine the data with your
11 > google searches, can create user profiles]
14 That may be true but it's not like I'm downloading child porn, planning
15 a terrorist attack or something either. I mean, NSA can read whatever
16 they want, most likely even encrypted messages, and we would never even
17 know about it.
20 >>>> But isn't this true of any ISP or email host?
21 >>>>
22 >
23 > No!
24 >
25 > I guess about all of them have privacy statements that do not allow this. If
26 > this is even needed, I doubt that in my country this behaviour would be
27 > legal. As it would be illegal for my phone company to listen to my calls.
30 But they can. Some people break the law. I see telephone guys hook up
31 to whatever line is available and make phone calls. They used to do
32 that a lot back in the old days. They can also listen to conversations
33 if someone is on the line. Illegal, sure, stops them from doing it, no.
37 >> But my point was, whoever owns the email server can read the emails.
38 >> Right? If I used your service, would you be able to read my emails if
39 >> you chose to? Not that you would but that you *could*.
42 > Sure, they can. And telephone companies also could easily listen to your
43 > phone calls, but do you assume they do? And, if so, would you use a company
44 > who openly states that they will record your phone calls forever, listen to
45 > it, use whatever you say in them for whatever purpose they like?
48 I would assume they were just in case. Don't go planning a bank
49 robbery, murder, terror attack or something on a telephone. It's just
50 not real bright.
53 >> I would assume if a email was encrypted that would be a different story.
56 > Well, only if everyone who sends you emails does encrypt, too.
57 >
58 > And, still: From the moment on that you opened the gmail site in your
59 > konqueror or firefox, every google search that you ever did in that browser
60 > before now is known to google. Well, they knew them before of course, but
61 > they did not know yet who you are. Now they do.
62 >
63 > Wonko
68 I have had the gmail account for years. I got it back when you had to
69 have a invite to even get one. Of all the things for me to worry about,
70 Google isn't even on the list yet.
71
72 Dale
73