From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dracut: mount: special device /dev/disk/by-label/usr does not exist
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 00:05:21
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 09:05:01 -0600, Jc García wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Another related LVM question. I have some partitions on LVM. If I
5 >>> moved the drives to another system, would the new LVMs be found on the
6 >>> new system or is there some magic involved to find and get them
7 >>> mounted? Example. My /home is on its own LVM partition. If I moved
8 >>> the drive that has that on it, would the new system see it or would I
9 >>> have to do something to make it see it? I suspect and wouldn't want
10 >>> it to mount automatically. I'd just want to be able to see it and
11 >>> mount it if needed. Sort of a question I have always wondered about.
12 >
13 >> On my experience as long, as udev and lvm are running on the receiving
14 >> system, they should be found and placed for access under /dev, not
15 >> mounted automatically.
16 >
17 > Unless there is already a VG on the other system with the same name. LVM
18 > doesn't handle VG name clashes, yet some distros still give them generic
19 > names.
23 This is good to know. It seems this would work like I was thinking. If
24 this rig were to die or something, I could unplug the drive with /home
25 from this system, hook up to my spare rig and go from there. I may have
26 to mount it manually at first but hey, at least the data is still there.
27
28 Neato. Thanks.
29
30 Dale
31
35 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
36 how you interpreted my words!