From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How should I clean up my broken system?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:56:12
1 On Freitag 12 Februar 2010, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hi, Gentoo!
3 >
4 > As reported in other threads, my new PC had a broken RAM stick in it.
5 > As a result, an unknown proportion of installed binaries are flaky. One
6 > non-functioning binary is probably GCC.
7 >
8 > What I'd like to do is reinstall every binary, yet without erasing any
9 > configuration info, whose creation was so arduous.
10 >
11 > Where does portage keep it's list of installed packages?
12
13 /var/db/pkg
14
15 > What do I have
16 > to do to persuade portage it has _no_ installed packages before doing
17 > 'rm -rf *' in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin?
18
19 --emtpytree
22 > Has anybody any other tips to offer me for this operation?
23
24 tar up /etc.