From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc upgrade, should it upgrade?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:09:20
1 Holly Bostick wrote:
4 >>(other) Funny thing is, last I heard, you were planning to mask the
5 >>"upgrade" versions of GCC. If you did that, of /course/ you are no
6 >>longer offered upgrades, since that's the point of masking (to mark a
7 >>package as "unavailable to be installed on this computer").
8 >>
9 >>gcc-3.4.5-r1 is the most recent stable; current unstable (~x86) is
10 >>3.4.6, 4.0 is masked (hard-masked), so you wouldn't see it anyway.
11 >>
12 >>So I'm guessing you are running stable only, and masked the most recent
13 >>stable version explicitly (3.4.5-r1)? If you masked only that version in
14 >>/etc/portage/package.mask, like so
15 >>
16 >>=sys-devel/gcc-3.4.5-r1
17 >>
18 >>you won't see an offer to update until 3.4.6 goes stable; if you masked
19 >>all versions above your current version, as in
20 >>
21 >>| > =sys-devel/gcc-3.4.5-r1
22 >>
23 >>you won't see an offer to update ever, until you adjust the mask.
24 >>Although when 4.0 makes it into the tree, it might use a different slot,
25 >>so that might make you an offer.
26 >>
27 >>But as far as I know, 3.4.5-r1 is still alive and kicking in the tree.
28 >>
29 >>Holly
33 Well, I didn't get around to changing anything in the mask file so
34 either it did it and I forgot it or some ghost came in and took care of
35 it for me. ;-) I guess since it was a minor update it won't matter anyway.
36
37 Nice to hear from you again though Holly. Take Care.
38
39 Dale
40 :-)
41 --