From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc upgrade, should it upgrade?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:50:19
1 Teresa and Dale schreef> Nagatoro wrote:
2 >>>
3 >> Why don't upgrade? As far as I know upgrading gcc isn't a big deal.
4 >> It was just the 3.3.x -> 3.4.x that was due to that the api for
5 >> c++ had changed.
6 >
7 > Oh, I thought it was a big deal. That's why I was wanting to wait.
8 > Funny thing is, it don't want to upgrade now so maybe it had a bug
9 > and they set it back again or something, or I just missed it and
10 > upgraded anyway. ;-)
11 >
12 (other) Funny thing is, last I heard, you were planning to mask the
13 "upgrade" versions of GCC. If you did that, of /course/ you are no
14 longer offered upgrades, since that's the point of masking (to mark a
15 package as "unavailable to be installed on this computer").
16
17 gcc-3.4.5-r1 is the most recent stable; current unstable (~x86) is
18 3.4.6, 4.0 is masked (hard-masked), so you wouldn't see it anyway.
19
20 So I'm guessing you are running stable only, and masked the most recent
21 stable version explicitly (3.4.5-r1)? If you masked only that version in
22 /etc/portage/package.mask, like so
23
24 =sys-devel/gcc-3.4.5-r1
25
26 you won't see an offer to update until 3.4.6 goes stable; if you masked
27 all versions above your current version, as in
28
29 | > =sys-devel/gcc-3.4.5-r1
30
31 you won't see an offer to update ever, until you adjust the mask.
32 Although when 4.0 makes it into the tree, it might use a different slot,
33 so that might make you an offer.
34
35 But as far as I know, 3.4.5-r1 is still alive and kicking in the tree.
36
37 Holly
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list