From: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USERDIR problem with apache on new install (SOLVED)
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 22:16:32
1 Am 29.09.2012 23:59, schrieb Allan Gottlieb:
2 > On Sat, Sep 29 2012, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
3 >
4 >> On my new install USERDIR is not working.
5 >>
6 >> When I try http://localhost/~gottlieb, firefox says
7 >> "you don't have permission to access /~gottlieb"
8 >> and the apache error log says
9 >> "client denied by server configuration: /local/allan/gottlieb/public_html"
10 >>
11 >> The file permissions are ok since both
12 >> file:///home/gottlieb/public_html/index.html and
13 >> file:///home/gottlieb/public_html
14 >> work fine.
15 >>
16 >> So I guess I screwed up the apache install, in particular USERDIR.
17 >>
18 >> eix shows userdir (see below)
19 >>
20 >> /etc/conf.d/apache2 has it (see below, diffs = with my working install)
21 >>
22 >> I have restarted apache, shutdown the machine overnight, reinstalled
23 >> apache, but still no go.
24 >>
25 >> What step did I foolishly miss?
26 >>
27 >> thanks,
28 >> allan
29 >
30 > Finally! I have a filesystem mounted on /local for my local files
31 > including my home directory /local/allan/gottlieb.
32 > I put in a symlink /home -> /local/allan/gottlieb
33 > so that programs looking in /home would be happy.
34 > I had /etc/passwd say /local/allan/gottlieb since it is the real
35 > directory.
36 >
37 > apache doesn't like this. There is probably an option to let it do this
38 > since it has several options on symlinks
39 >
40 > However I simply changed /etc/passwd to say /home/gottlieb and apache
41 > is happy.
42 >
43 > allan
46 There's an option called FollowSymlinks which you can set per directory
47 to allow apache to... yeah, follow symlinks :)
48
49 Look for FollowSymlinks on http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html