From: Markos Chandras <markaki2002@×××××.gr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alsa in-kernel vs. alsa-lib
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:47:20
1 On Friday 31 October 2008 01:04:42 Andrey Vul wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Pupino <pupinux@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > > i was used to intall alsa-lib and co. and use tools like alsamixer to
5 > > manage the audio on my gentoo; now i've tryied to switch to the
6 > > in-kernel way.
7 > > I've built the relevant part into the kernel, no module, but now i'm
8 > > stuck. If i try to emerge alsa-utils (wich has alsamixer) it pulls in
9 > > also alsa-lib, alsa-header, etc...
10 > > is this the correct behaviour? i tought i'll get rid of those
11 > > packages(-header, -lib) switching to the in-kernel drivers.
12 >
13 > alsa-lib and alsa-headers are unrelated to the kernel modules.
14 > alsa-lib and alsa-headers are userspace.
15 > If you ditch alsa-lib and go full kernel:
16 > Will you have sound? Maybe.
17 > Will alsa-using apps be able to use it? Absolutely not. They need alsa-lib.
18
19 From my experience i would recommend to use alsa-in-kernel + alsa-libs +
20 alsa-headers + alsa-utils + alsa-tools
21
22 This combination works perfect on my 3 gentoo machines