From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Adding realtime-prempt kernel patches to gentoo-sources
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 20:15:46
1 On 7/7/05, Christian Heim <christian.th.heim@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > QUESTIONS:
4 > >
5 > > 1) Can I assume that whatever happened with the "Hunk #x succeeded"
6 > > that everything is OK? Maybe this was just a line number issue?
7 > Yeah .. or and indent change or something similar.
10 > > 2) What can I do about the "Hunk #x FAILED" messages?
11 > Well to get that patch working, you *need* to take a look at the *.rej
12 > files
13 > which are created by patch -p1 < realtime-prempt.patch.
14 >
15 > Most times this is only due to missing context. That means the line just
16 > before
17 > the one which should be added, is not there or another one is just in
18 > the way.
19 > So `patch` is unable to find the matching context.
20 > >
21 > > No output files were created since it was only a dry run. I can run
22 > > again, get output files, and then look into it but I thought I'd ask
23 > > how folks go about this sort of thing before I pulled the trigger.
24 >
25 > Regards Christian
28 Hi Christian,
29 Thanks for the response. There were just two problems, as best I
30 can tell. One was in the upper level makefile which the second was in
31 a more tecnical piece of code. I'm providing the output here more for
32 conversation and not really asking for technical help on changing
33 code. This is just for my learning.
34
35 In the first one it appears that Gentoo does an extra version so I
36 can probably fake my way around this but changing the patch file
37 itself to expect the Gentoo kernel I want to patch. Is that a
38 reasonable strategy?
39
40 In the second, since it's apparently just a difference in brakets
41 I'm more curious about why gentoo-sources would differ from what Ingo
42 was apparently expectinb in the kernel config file, but again it seems
43 pretty minor. Would you agree?
44
45 Thanks,
46 Mark
47
48 Makefile.rej:
49 ***************
50 *** 1,7 ****
51 VERSION = 2
52 PATCHLEVEL = 6
53 SUBLEVEL = 12
54 - EXTRAVERSION =
55 NAME=Woozy Numbat
56
57 # *DOCUMENTATION*
58 --- 1,7 ----
59 VERSION = 2
60 PATCHLEVEL = 6
61 SUBLEVEL = 12
62 + EXTRAVERSION = -RT-V0.7.51-11
63 NAME=Woozy Numbat
64
65 # *DOCUMENTATION*
68 drivers/video/console/fbcon.c.rej:
69
70 ***************
71 *** 1092,1101 ****
72 struct display *p = &fb_display[vc->vc_num];
73 struct fbcon_ops *ops = info->fbcon_par;
74
75 - if (!fbcon_is_inactive(vc, info))
76 ops->putcs(vc, info, s, count, real_y(p, ypos), xpos,
77 get_color(vc, info, scr_readw(s), 1),
78 get_color(vc, info, scr_readw(s), 0));
79 }
80
81 static void fbcon_putc(struct vc_data *vc, int c, int ypos, int xpos)
82 --- 1091,1101 ----
83 struct display *p = &fb_display[vc->vc_num];
84 struct fbcon_ops *ops = info->fbcon_par;
85
86 + if (!fbcon_is_inactive(vc, info)) {
87 ops->putcs(vc, info, s, count, real_y(p, ypos), xpos,
88 get_color(vc, info, scr_readw(s), 1),
89 get_color(vc, info, scr_readw(s), 0));
90 + }
91 }
92
93 static void fbcon_putc(struct vc_data *vc, int c, int ypos, int xpos)
96 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list