From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 17:43:06
1 On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 5:41 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Some while ago, I wrote:
3 >
4 > [
5 > mplayer stutters when I/O is going on, even hangs for seconds when I do a
6 > dd if=/dev/zero of=somefile bs=1M
7 > ]
8 >
9 >> Urs Schutz writes:
10 >>
11 >> > Just an idea: Is the disk OK? Replace /dev/sda with your
12 >> > disk...
13 > [...]
14 >> > I had a bad disk here, which resulted in slow IO, but not
15 >> > complete failure. Smart detected this immediately. Sorry,
16 >> > I do not know how to check disks with LVM.
17 >>
18 >> Didn't you get errors in yslog then?
19 >>
20 >> I also thought about swapping the system drive - I have a larger backup
21 >> drive, with nearly identical logical volumes on it, where I make
22 >> backups with rdiffbackup. So even the content is identical, except for
23 >> an additional rdiff-backup directory containing the increments. So all
24 >> I have to do is to echange the two volume group names, reboot, and the
25 >> system will run from the other drive. But I very much doubt this will
26 >> help, transfer speed looks okay to me, around 100 MB/s with dd.
27 >
28 > I did it in another way. I created a large file system (LVM) on my 2nd
29 > drive, copied /, /usr, /var, /opt and /home over. My whole system is
30 > encrypted, but I omitted this, just to make sure this is not the
31 > bottleneck.
32 >
33 > Alas, no change. Another thing I tried was to change the SATA mode in my
34 > BIOS from AHCI to whatever the other option is. This did not help either.
35 >
36 > Now this is really annoying. I watch small clips mostly, and can live
37 > with that, and when I want to watch stuff with others, I copy the file to
38 > tmpfs, which seems to help a lot.
39 >
40 > But now I found another solution: NOT USING KDE.
41 >
42 > When X crashed (trying to make the old Unreal game play), I fired up
43 > another window manager, and when I played a video in there, there was no
44 > problem at all. So, I have another workaround.
45 >
46 > But does anyone have an idea, why running KDE is the problem? Disabling
47 > desktop effects does not help.
48 >
49 > I must be totally crazy because I still want to use KDE, despite the big
50 > trouble it gives me nearly every day. Yes, most things work fine now, but
51 > there are many many little problems, daily application crashes, and every
52 > time I log in I fear that the desktop won't come up. 8G of RAM was not
53 > enough to avoid swapping, so now I have 16G, that's fine, I no longer
54 > care about kwin using 1G of my RAM. Oh, and I no longer use KMail, after
55 > it ate thousands of mails I just wanted to move. No problem, they were
56 > not important, but I no longer trust the KDEPIM suite. And it seems the
57 > developers do not care about this, the bug report got no replies.
58 >
59 > But anyway. Any idea why it only happens with KDE? I will ask on the KDE
60 > mailing list, but I thought I post here first, maybe there's something
61 > Gentoo-specific going on here.
62 >
63 >        Wonko
66 Hey Wonko,
67 OK, fire up two terminals. In one run top, hit 1 & z so you see all
68 your CPUs and then watch CPU usage. In the second terminal su to root
69 and run iotop -o. Now, watch for a few minutes and get a feel for
70 what's going on when video is not running. Then start your video and
71 watch IO usage and CPU usage. Where's the problem?
72
73 Once you get an idea where the bottleneck is we can address what a
74 solution might be. In general, if the CPUs aren't maxed out and it's
75 an I/O problem then usually a bit more buffering is a simple solution.
76 Other more draconian solution might be a real-time kernel with a
77 player (if there is one) that is set up for real-time playback.
78
79 Looking forward to hearing your test results.
80
81 Cheers,
82 Mark