From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 12:43:38
1 Some while ago, I wrote:
2
3 [
4 mplayer stutters when I/O is going on, even hangs for seconds when I do a
5 dd if=/dev/zero of=somefile bs=1M
6 ]
7
8 > Urs Schutz writes:
9 >
10 > > Just an idea: Is the disk OK? Replace /dev/sda with your
11 > > disk...
12 [...]
13 > > I had a bad disk here, which resulted in slow IO, but not
14 > > complete failure. Smart detected this immediately. Sorry,
15 > > I do not know how to check disks with LVM.
16 >
17 > Didn't you get errors in yslog then?
18 >
19 > I also thought about swapping the system drive - I have a larger backup
20 > drive, with nearly identical logical volumes on it, where I make
21 > backups with rdiffbackup. So even the content is identical, except for
22 > an additional rdiff-backup directory containing the increments. So all
23 > I have to do is to echange the two volume group names, reboot, and the
24 > system will run from the other drive. But I very much doubt this will
25 > help, transfer speed looks okay to me, around 100 MB/s with dd.
26
27 I did it in another way. I created a large file system (LVM) on my 2nd
28 drive, copied /, /usr, /var, /opt and /home over. My whole system is
29 encrypted, but I omitted this, just to make sure this is not the
30 bottleneck.
31
32 Alas, no change. Another thing I tried was to change the SATA mode in my
33 BIOS from AHCI to whatever the other option is. This did not help either.
34
35 Now this is really annoying. I watch small clips mostly, and can live
36 with that, and when I want to watch stuff with others, I copy the file to
37 tmpfs, which seems to help a lot.
38
39 But now I found another solution: NOT USING KDE.
40
41 When X crashed (trying to make the old Unreal game play), I fired up
42 another window manager, and when I played a video in there, there was no
43 problem at all. So, I have another workaround.
44
45 But does anyone have an idea, why running KDE is the problem? Disabling
46 desktop effects does not help.
47
48 I must be totally crazy because I still want to use KDE, despite the big
49 trouble it gives me nearly every day. Yes, most things work fine now, but
50 there are many many little problems, daily application crashes, and every
51 time I log in I fear that the desktop won't come up. 8G of RAM was not
52 enough to avoid swapping, so now I have 16G, that's fine, I no longer
53 care about kwin using 1G of my RAM. Oh, and I no longer use KMail, after
54 it ate thousands of mails I just wanted to move. No problem, they were
55 not important, but I no longer trust the KDEPIM suite. And it seems the
56 developers do not care about this, the bug report got no replies.
57
58 But anyway. Any idea why it only happens with KDE? I will ask on the KDE
59 mailing list, but I thought I post here first, maybe there's something
60 Gentoo-specific going on here.
61
62 Wonko