From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 16:28:53
1 Am Montag, 7. Mai 2012, 14:41:34 schrieb Alex Schuster:
2 > Some while ago, I wrote:
3 >
4 > [
5 > mplayer stutters when I/O is going on, even hangs for seconds when I do a
6 > dd if=/dev/zero of=somefile bs=1M
7 > ]
8 >
9 > > Urs Schutz writes:
10 > > > Just an idea: Is the disk OK? Replace /dev/sda with your
11 > > > disk...
12 >
13 > [...]
14 >
15 > > > I had a bad disk here, which resulted in slow IO, but not
16 > > > complete failure. Smart detected this immediately. Sorry,
17 > > > I do not know how to check disks with LVM.
18 > >
19 > > Didn't you get errors in yslog then?
20 > >
21 > > I also thought about swapping the system drive - I have a larger backup
22 > > drive, with nearly identical logical volumes on it, where I make
23 > > backups with rdiffbackup. So even the content is identical, except for
24 > > an additional rdiff-backup directory containing the increments. So all
25 > > I have to do is to echange the two volume group names, reboot, and the
26 > > system will run from the other drive. But I very much doubt this will
27 > > help, transfer speed looks okay to me, around 100 MB/s with dd.
28 >
29 > I did it in another way. I created a large file system (LVM) on my 2nd
30 > drive, copied /, /usr, /var, /opt and /home over. My whole system is
31 > encrypted, but I omitted this, just to make sure this is not the
32 > bottleneck.
33 >
34 > Alas, no change. Another thing I tried was to change the SATA mode in my
35 > BIOS from AHCI to whatever the other option is. This did not help either.
36 >
37 > Now this is really annoying. I watch small clips mostly, and can live
38 > with that, and when I want to watch stuff with others, I copy the file to
39 > tmpfs, which seems to help a lot.
40 >
41 > But now I found another solution: NOT USING KDE.
42 >
43 > When X crashed (trying to make the old Unreal game play), I fired up
44 > another window manager, and when I played a video in there, there was no
45 > problem at all. So, I have another workaround.
46 >
47 > But does anyone have an idea, why running KDE is the problem? Disabling
48 > desktop effects does not help.
49
50 nepomuk/virtuoso running in the background
51
52 whenever you have more than 1 process doing IO linux sucks ass.
53
54 Now, you write to a partition, nepomuk tries to index it (1 read) and your
55 player reading the video file (2nd read). Interactivity is shot.
56
57 Pause/kill nepomuk and look if it helps.
58
59 For me the worst case is: writing lots of files on a usb device - sucks
60 everywhere, even on a vt.
63 #163933