From: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 16:45:58
1 Am 07.05.2012 18:26, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
2 > Am Montag, 7. Mai 2012, 14:41:34 schrieb Alex Schuster:
3 >> Some while ago, I wrote:
4 >>
5 >> [
6 >> mplayer stutters when I/O is going on, even hangs for seconds when I do a
7 >> dd if=/dev/zero of=somefile bs=1M
8 >> ]
9 >>
10 >>> Urs Schutz writes:
11 >>>> Just an idea: Is the disk OK? Replace /dev/sda with your
12 >>>> disk...
13 >>
14 >> [...]
15 >>
16 >>>> I had a bad disk here, which resulted in slow IO, but not
17 >>>> complete failure. Smart detected this immediately. Sorry,
18 >>>> I do not know how to check disks with LVM.
19 >>>
20 >>> Didn't you get errors in yslog then?
21 >>>
22 >>> I also thought about swapping the system drive - I have a larger backup
23 >>> drive, with nearly identical logical volumes on it, where I make
24 >>> backups with rdiffbackup. So even the content is identical, except for
25 >>> an additional rdiff-backup directory containing the increments. So all
26 >>> I have to do is to echange the two volume group names, reboot, and the
27 >>> system will run from the other drive. But I very much doubt this will
28 >>> help, transfer speed looks okay to me, around 100 MB/s with dd.
29 >>
30 >> I did it in another way. I created a large file system (LVM) on my 2nd
31 >> drive, copied /, /usr, /var, /opt and /home over. My whole system is
32 >> encrypted, but I omitted this, just to make sure this is not the
33 >> bottleneck.
34 >>
35 >> Alas, no change. Another thing I tried was to change the SATA mode in my
36 >> BIOS from AHCI to whatever the other option is. This did not help either.
37 >>
38 >> Now this is really annoying. I watch small clips mostly, and can live
39 >> with that, and when I want to watch stuff with others, I copy the file to
40 >> tmpfs, which seems to help a lot.
41 >>
42 >> But now I found another solution: NOT USING KDE.
43 >>
44 >> When X crashed (trying to make the old Unreal game play), I fired up
45 >> another window manager, and when I played a video in there, there was no
46 >> problem at all. So, I have another workaround.
47 >>
48 >> But does anyone have an idea, why running KDE is the problem? Disabling
49 >> desktop effects does not help.
50 >
51 > nepomuk/virtuoso running in the background
52 >
53 > whenever you have more than 1 process doing IO linux sucks ass.
54 >
55 > Now, you write to a partition, nepomuk tries to index it (1 read) and your
56 > player reading the video file (2nd read). Interactivity is shot.
57 >
58 > Pause/kill nepomuk and look if it helps.
59 >
60 > For me the worst case is: writing lots of files on a usb device - sucks
61 > everywhere, even on a vt.
64 Maybe changing the kernel io scheduler will help?
65
66 # /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/switching-sched.txt
67 # /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/deadline-iosched.txt
68 # /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/cfq-iosched.txt