From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 18:54:33
1 Michael Hampicke writes:
2
3 > Am 07.05.2012 18:26, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
4 > > Am Montag, 7. Mai 2012, 14:41:34 schrieb Alex Schuster:
5 > >> Some while ago, I wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> [
8 > >> mplayer stutters when I/O is going on, even hangs for seconds when I
9 > >> do a dd if=/dev/zero of=somefile bs=1M
10 > >> ]
11 [...]
12 > >> But now I found another solution: NOT USING KDE.
13 > >>
14 > >> When X crashed (trying to make the old Unreal game play), I fired up
15 > >> another window manager, and when I played a video in there, there
16 > >> was no problem at all. So, I have another workaround.
17 > >>
18 > >> But does anyone have an idea, why running KDE is the problem?
19 > >> Disabling desktop effects does not help.
20 > >
21 > > nepomuk/virtuoso running in the background
22 > >
23 > > whenever you have more than 1 process doing IO linux sucks ass.
24 > >
25 > > Now, you write to a partition, nepomuk tries to index it (1 read) and
26 > > your player reading the video file (2nd read). Interactivity is shot.
27 > >
28 > > Pause/kill nepomuk and look if it helps.
29
30 Nice shot, but this cannot be the problem. Sorry, now that I read my post
31 again I see I did not mention that I _still_ have KDE running all the
32 time, doing whatever it does. I only need to play the videos outside in a
33 window manager I have running in parallel.
34 And the output of my dd action goes to another partition anyway, which is
35 not being indexed. I have 280,000 files indexed, a plain locate gives
36 nearly ten times as much.
37 Virtuoso has been a big pain in the past indeed. So I had it disabled
38 until KDE 4.8 I think. It does some indexing now when I log in, and it is
39 still doing so 8 hours after I logged in the last time, but I do not
40 notice this much, since KDE 4.8. Whether it affects my video playback I'm
41 not so sure, but I have the playback problems even when it is not running
42 - there's too much stuff going on all the time.
43
44 > > For me the worst case is: writing lots of files on a usb device -
45 > > sucks everywhere, even on a vt.
46
47 Indeed. But should this affect an mplayer using a huge cache?
48 Does it also suck when you are writing with cp, using ionice -c 3?
49
50 > Maybe changing the kernel io scheduler will help?
51 >
52 > # /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/switching-sched.txt
53 > # /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/deadline-iosched.txt
54 > # /usr/src/linux/Documentation/block/cfq-iosched.txt
55
56 Nope. I just tried noop and deadline (cfq is my default) and did not see
57 much of a difference.
58
59 Wonko