From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 00:36:23
1 Urs Schutz writes:
2
3 > Just an idea: Is the disk OK? Replace /dev/sda with your
4 > disk...
5 >
6 > smartctl -t short /dev/sda
7 >
8 > and after some minutes
9 >
10 > smartctl --all /dev/sda
11 >
12 > If all went OK then the status is «PASSED», and you could
13 > try the extended or long tests with smartctl.
14
15 I have smartd running. A short self test is done every day, and a long test
16 once per week.
17
18 > I had a bad disk here, which resulted in slow IO, but not
19 > complete failure. Smart detected this immediately. Sorry,
20 > I do not know how to check disks with LVM.
21
22 Didn't you get errors in yslog then?
23
24 I also thought about swapping the system drive - I have a larger backup
25 drive, with nearly identical logical volumes on it, where I make backups
26 with rdiffbackup. So even the content is identical, except for an additional
27 rdiff-backup directory containing the increments. So all I have to do is to
28 echange the two volume group names, reboot, and the system will run from the
29 other drive. But I very much doubt this will help, transfer speed looks okay
30 to me, around 100 MB/s with dd.
31
32 Wonko