From: Urs Schutz <u.schutz@×××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 00:06:48
1 On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 18:04:07 +0100
2 Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 ...
5 >
6 > Then I tried another video, again with the settings you
7 > suggested, and it stuttered. There were small pauses when
8 > the system did some stuff, and when I did my dd test, the
9 > pauses were as long as five seconds. FIVE SECONDS!
10 >
11 > Wonko
14 Just an idea: Is the disk OK? Replace /dev/sda with your
15 disk...
16
17 smartctl -t short /dev/sda
18
19 and after some minutes
20
21 smartctl --all /dev/sda
22
23 If all went OK then the status is «PASSED», and you could
24 try the extended or long tests with smartctl.
25 I had a bad disk here, which resulted in slow IO, but not
26 complete failure. Smart detected this immediately. Sorry,
27 I do not know how to check disks with LVM.
28
29 Urs