From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 17:06:18
1 James Broadhead writes:
2
3 > Please try:
4 > ~/.mplayer/config
5 > lavdopts=threads=2
6 > # Use 128MiB input cache by default.
7 > cache = 131072
8 > # Prefill 20% of the cache before starting playback.
9 > cache-min = 20.0
10 >
11 > Which should eliminate disk IO somewhat
12
13 James, thanks for your input. I already had threads = 2 in my config, now
14 I notice that this syntax is not valid. My cache setting was only 10M, and
15 I did not know about cache-min.
16
17 First, I thought these settings would help, the video I tested this with
18 this night no longer had problems. I commented the settings one after
19 another in order to find out which settings exactly helped most, and even
20 without them, it played fine. Maybe the whole video was in the cache at
21 that time already.
22
23 Then I tried another video, again with the settings you suggested, and it
24 stuttered. There were small pauses when the system did some stuff, and
25 when I did my dd test, the pauses were as long as five seconds. FIVE
26 SECONDS!
27
28 Wonko