From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 20:47:34
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 <<< SNIP >>>
3 > Now this is really annoying. I watch small clips mostly, and can live
4 > with that, and when I want to watch stuff with others, I copy the file to
5 > tmpfs, which seems to help a lot.
6 >
7 > But now I found another solution: NOT USING KDE.
8 >
9 > When X crashed (trying to make the old Unreal game play), I fired up
10 > another window manager, and when I played a video in there, there was no
11 > problem at all. So, I have another workaround.
12 >
13 > But does anyone have an idea, why running KDE is the problem? Disabling
14 > desktop effects does not help.
15 >
16 > I must be totally crazy because I still want to use KDE, despite the big
17 > trouble it gives me nearly every day. Yes, most things work fine now, but
18 > there are many many little problems, daily application crashes, and every
19 > time I log in I fear that the desktop won't come up. 8G of RAM was not
20 > enough to avoid swapping, so now I have 16G, that's fine, I no longer
21 > care about kwin using 1G of my RAM. Oh, and I no longer use KMail, after
22 > it ate thousands of mails I just wanted to move. No problem, they were
23 > not important, but I no longer trust the KDEPIM suite. And it seems the
24 > developers do not care about this, the bug report got no replies.
25 >
26 > But anyway. Any idea why it only happens with KDE? I will ask on the KDE
27 > mailing list, but I thought I post here first, maybe there's something
28 > Gentoo-specific going on here.
29 >
30 > Wonko
35 When I first built this rig, I ran into this issue as well. What I did
36 was tell smplayer, in my case, to cache more of the video. I have mine
37 set to cache 6Mbs and it plays fine even on HD videos.
38
39 This may not help you but if you have not tried it yet, may be worth a
40 shot. It is aggravating when it does this tho.
41
42 Also, there was a thread a good while back with this issue and their fix
43 was to do a emerge -e world with everything optimized for their CPU and
44 such. May be worth thinking about at least.
45
46 Dale
47
51 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
52 how you interpreted my words!
53
54 Miss the compile output? Hint:
55 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"