From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 21:11:58
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > When I first built this rig, I ran into this issue as well. What I did
4 > was tell smplayer, in my case, to cache more of the video. I have mine
5 > set to cache 6Mbs and it plays fine even on HD videos.
6
7 I have cache = 131072 and cache-min=20.0 in .mplayer/config. That's
8 128MB, this should be enough. Got this hint by James Broadhead some
9 months ago in this thread.
10
11 > Also, there was a thread a good while back with this issue and their fix
12 > was to do a emerge -e world with everything optimized for their CPU and
13 > such. May be worth thinking about at least.
14
15 That was Walter Dnes, also in thos thread. But everything should be quite
16 optimized here, with:
17 CFLAGS="-pipe -march=amdfam10 -O2 \
18 -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block \
19 -msse -msse2 -msse3 -msse4a -msse4.1 -msse4.2 -m3dnow \
20 -mcx16 -msahf -maes -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mabm -mlwp -mavx \
21 --param l1-cache-size=16 \
22 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 \
23 --param l2-cache-size=2048"
24
25 And I do not have high CPU load when playing movies.
26
27 Wonko