From: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Accessibility, or, Purple writing on black is a REALLY BAD idea.
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 16:45:44
1 Hi Thomas
2
3 In the last episode, Thomas Wouters wrote:
4 TW> On Sunday 01 April 2007, Jeff Rollin wrote:
5 TW> > Hi list
6 TW> >
7 TW> > I like the new look of the website, but how on Earth does anyone make
8 any TW> > sense of the links? Purple on black is a really bad idea, and
9 that's from TW> > someone who doesn't have any accessibility issues with
10 websites. TW> >
11 TW> > Should this be filed as a bug?
12 TW> >
13 TW> > Jeff
14 TW>
15 TW> This has nothing to do with the accessibility of the website, it inflects
16 the TW> usability, which is something completely different.
17 TW> What isn't accessible is the layout which is based on tables, changing
18 this to TW> div's will increase the accessibility and the opportunity to
19 easily create TW> new designs.
20 TW> The menus are awfull, I mean, come on, <a> tags separated by pipes?
21 Imagine TW> what text to speech software would make from that... What's
22 wrong with using TW> <ul> which is basically made for this?
23 TW>
24 TW> Anyway, if you want to talk about accessibility, the first thing you
25 should do TW> is ask yourself the question if you know what accessibility
26 is. If the answer TW> to that question is no, then stick with the term
27 usability.
28
29 In my opinion this is hair-splitting. To me "accessibility" just means
30 "usability for disabled users". Besides, as I already noted, the fact that
31 it's bad from a design/usability standpoint is only going to make it worse
32 from an accessibility standpoint.
33
34 Jeff
35 --
36 For a successful technology, reality must take precedence
37 over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.
38
39 Richard Phillips Feynman, American physicist, 11/5/18-15/2/88
40 --