From: Thomas Wouters <thomas@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Accessibility, or, Purple writing on black is a REALLY BAD idea.
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 16:18:38
1 On Sunday 01 April 2007, Jeff Rollin wrote:
2 > Hi list
3 >
4 > I like the new look of the website, but how on Earth does anyone make any
5 > sense of the links? Purple on black is a really bad idea, and that's from
6 > someone who doesn't have any accessibility issues with websites.
7 >
8 > Should this be filed as a bug?
9 >
10 > Jeff
11
12 This has nothing to do with the accessibility of the website, it inflects the
13 usability, which is something completely different.
14 What isn't accessible is the layout which is based on tables, changing this to
15 div's will increase the accessibility and the opportunity to easily create
16 new designs.
17 The menus are awfull, I mean, come on, <a> tags separated by pipes? Imagine
18 what text to speech software would make from that... What's wrong with using
19 <ul> which is basically made for this?
20
21 Anyway, if you want to talk about accessibility, the first thing you should do
22 is ask yourself the question if you know what accessibility is. If the answer
23 to that question is no, then stick with the term usability.
24
25 some guidelines to get the website more accessible: http://www.w3.org/WAI/
26
27 Greetings,